Monday, January 26, 2009

The Joys of Joining a Gym

This morning Lindsay and I joined a gym. After stopping by an electronics store to check out the blow dryers, we discussed it over cream-filled pastries. In the end, we decided it was for the best.

We headed over to the nearest gym (20 hours Palestra – www.newway.it ) and asked how much it cost to join. An Italian girl offered to give us a tour of the gym before she told us the prices. A horrible feeling came over me – déjà vu – this had happened before… at Gold’s gym… right before they tried to charge me $400 to start… I suppressed a gasp. This couldn’t be that bad… could it?

Marta led Lindsay and I through the gym, which included a small cardio room, a small weight room, an aerobics room and a locker room. It was small, but very clean and nice. There was enough for us to get a good workout. She then took us to a tiny, stuffy room in the back where she sat us down to discuss the prices. I had to suppress another gasp. Apparently it is a universal practice to suffocate people into joining your overpriced gym.

First Marta told us how much it cost to join the gym for one year: a mere 890 euros! This time I had to clench my teeth to prevent my jaw from dropping. Thankfully, Marta then told us that there was a discount – whew! – a year would now cost only 690 euros. Oh, much better. I wanted to ask her if they offered scholarships.

Eventually we explained that we would only be here for about 6 months and we really didn’t want to – or actually, couldn’t – spend that much. I know it isn’t entirely her fault she has to swindle people into forking over their life savings just to attend G.A.G. classes (Gambe Glutei e Addominali… Italian for Guts Butts and Thighs). She was actually quite nice. In the end, she offered us a four-month, morning-only membership for 190 euros.

We accepted the offer, paid a down payment and walked out of there with the sudden realization that we had just spend February’s rent on a gym membership. As long as I go every day it will be totally worth it.

Not to mention, the gym did have blow dryers, so really I’m saving 40 euros.